Music therapy is the clinical and evidence-based use of music interventions to accomplish individualized goals within a therapeutic relationship by a credentialed professional who has completed an approved music therapy program. Music therapy being a powerful and non-threatening medium, unique outcomes are possible.
Benefits of Music Therapy
- Reduces anxiety & physical effects of stress
- Improves self-expression & communication
- Improves healing
- Nurtures social interaction and communication skills
- Encourages creative and spontaneous play
- Develops concentration and co-ordination
- Increases awareness of themselves and others
- Boosts self esteem and builds resilience
- Stimulates language and listening skills
- Strengthens family and peer relationships
- Stimulates cognitive functioning and may be used for remediation of some speech and language skills.
Music provides healing and contributes to the well-being of psychological, physical, social, emotional and mental health.
Some Conditions that can benefit from Music Therapy:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Learning Disability
- Neurological Conditions
- Mental Health Care
Involvement in music making and passive music can both stimulate and relax a person leading to very positive changes and thus enabling “Rehabilitation”.